RVA has specialized in Public Involvement Programs for nearly 30 years. Public outreach and participation are essential to building consensus and support for successful public policies and projects. In the private sector, public support can positively influence the regulatory process, build goodwill and prevent costly delays by facilitating timely completion of a project.
Good community outreach programs provide opportunities for meaningful participation, encourage dialogue and build trust within the affected community. Successful programs are inclusive, responsive and anticipate community concerns. The result? A strong project that has broad public support.
How does this work? RVA develops a strategic plan that becomes the public involvement program road map for the project. Each component of the program builds on strengths and transforms weaknesses identified in the strategic assessment. We use surveys and/or interviews to develop strategies and program alternatives. We incorporate diverse interests and reach out to members of the disability community, Environmental Justice populations and other traditionally underserved and underrepresented populations. We provide straightforward descriptive materials for clients to use for media and fact sheets.
RVA has developed and managed public involvement programs for more than 100 sensitive projects in the areas of:
- Wastewater planning and treatment
- Drinking water treatment and distribution Transportation
- Facilities planning and siting Deer Island
- Hazardous waste remediation
- Master planning
- Construction management Design/Build projects
RVA’s managers and information specialists offer a wide range of services, including:
- Identifying stakeholders
- Stakeholder surveys, interviews and focus groups
- Developing and maintaining project databases
- Assisting with website development and maintenance
- Developing and maintaining community issues/mitigation tracking systems, including providing opportunities for stakeholders to submit questions and concerns
- Managing hotlines and responding to stakeholder questions and concerns
- Developing and implementing media strategies
- Writing background papers, fact sheets and feature articles for general and trade press
- Producing and distributing presentations, newsletters, updates, educational videos and public service announcements
- Forming and staffing representative citizen and technical advisory committees
- Staffing and facilitating public meetings and hearings and neighborhood and interest group presentations